7.8.07

finally, a functional family

boyfriend and i were at my mother's house this weekend, as was my aunt and two of my cousins, and my sisters and my niece.

saturday we had a little cookout. since it had been a while, i broke out the hookah. it was very funny watching my aunt c's bottom lip tremble as she tried to exhale smoke through her nose. and, of course, there were the inevitable paraphernalia jokes - mm let me take a HIT of that; yeah man that's some GOOD STUFF!.

as i was "packing the bowl" for the second time, my sister's friend from the barn arrived, with a friend who happened to bring her ten year old daughter. i continued the bowl-packing, then wandered into the kitchen since the burgers were ready. a few minutes later, the guest-woman comes into the kitchen and grabs my mom by the elbow.

she says something like, there's not drugs here are there? because i'm really not comfortable with that as i have my daughter with me!

of course my mom replies with a negative and i explain to her what a hookah is and what shisha consists of.

the three non-family leave soon after we consume the birthday cake (it was my mom's turn to celebrate the three birthdays).

we find out in the ensuing conversation that aunt c had said something like,

i'm going to eat outside, WHERE THE DRUGS ARE!

and that is what caused the "drugs" controversy.

i admit i felt bad and a little embarrassed that we didn't do more to make the guests feel more comfortable. but, we hadn't expected them, and we weren't doing anything illegal.

after all, it is a little odd to assume that someone would let her children, in the presence of an almost one year old, smoke something illegal openly in the back yard.

No comments: